When your heating or cooling system fails, you want it repaired quickly—but you also want to make sure it’s repaired properly, by someone you can trust. Fortunately, finding a trustworthy HVAC professional can be fairly easy. It just requires a little due diligence on your part.
James Merritt, owner of AirNow, offers the following suggestions on things to look for when checking out HVAC contractors in your area:
- Rely on more than just Google or yellow pages searches. Check out what your neighbors, friends and relatives have to say about AirNow on our testimonials page or even via our service area. Reading other consumers’ reviews of local companies can help narrow down your choices.
- Look for service and equipment guarantees and warranties. Most reputable contractors will offer some forms of guarantees and/or warranties. If a contractor does not offer guarantees or warranties, look elsewhere.
- Look for honesty in pricing. Go with someone who will provide you with a free estimate and estimated cost of a project up-front, before any work is done.
- Make sure they’re certified and licensed. There are a lot of scammers out there. You don’t want someone who doesn’t display credentials working on your system.
- Look for a good history of customer service. Read up about the organization’s history on their site. Also check out any customer testimonials they may have posted.
- See if they provide 24 hour emergency service. You want someone you can rely on and who will respond to you regardless of the time of day.
- Don’t make any commitments until you’re sure. When they come to your home, feel them out. Are you comfortable with them? Do you feel they’re being honest with you? If not—keep searching.
None of this should take much time, and you—and your HVAC system—will be much better off for it in the long run.
By Terry Barrett